Who are we?
Jefferies Essex LLP is a firm of solicitors. We are regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority under reference number 440544. Jefferies Essex LLP is a limited liability partnership (registered under number OC317098) and trades under the name “Jefferies”. The registered office of Jefferies Essex LLP is Dencora Court, Tylers Avenue, Southend on Sea, Essex, SS1 2BB and a list of members of the firm is available for inspection upon request. The VAT registration number for Jefferies Essex LLP is 250402118.
Our Data Protection Manager, Sarah Mitchell, can be contacted directly at:
Address: Data Protection Manager, Jefferies Essex LLP, Dencora Court, Tylers Avenue, Southend on Sea, Essex, SS1 2BB, UK
Telephone: 01702 443472
Jefferies Essex LLP is a data controller and processor under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Information collected by us
Consent: By consenting to this privacy notice you are giving us permission to process your personal data specifically for the purposes identified. Consent is required for Jefferies Essex LLP to process personal data, but it must be explicitly given. Where we are asking you for sensitive personal data we will always tell you why and how the information will be used. You may withdraw consent at any time by completing a Data subject consent withdrawal form. Please see the detailed section headed below on Subject Access Request Form.
We collect and retain personal data about you (and where required, parties associated with your instruction to us) through various means including:From you as the client
By submission of an enquiry through our website
By submission of an enquiry through our website
- o By telephone
- By email
- In correspondence
- In person
- By telephone
- By email
- In correspondence
- In person
- Identity data
- o Names and title
- Marital status
- Date of birth
- Email address
- Telephone numbers
- Employment history
- Education attainments
- Bank account details
- National Insurance number
- Other financial information relevant to performance of the contract or to comply with a legal obligation
- In limited circumstances: Special category personal data including details about race, ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, health data and information about criminal convictions and offences
Any other personal data
- Data collected in the context of our work for clients or in the operation of our business
Purpose for the collection and use of the personal data and lawful basis for processing:To perform the contract for legal services in which you have instructed us
- Performance of a contract
- Legal obligations Legitimate interests (to provide conflict checks)
- Legal obligations Legitimate interests (to provide advice, to recover debts, to provide conflict checks, to comply with our accreditation scheme requirements, to protect our interests and prevent fraud/illegal activity)
- Legitimate interests (to keep our records updated, for direct marketing purposes)
- Legal obligations Legitimate interests (for internal administrative purposes)
In addition, in respect of the special category personal data we rely on the necessity for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims, including the provision of legal advice and/or that you have given us explicit consent to process this data for an explicit purpose.
Online privacy statement and IP Data:
At Jefferies Essex LLP we collect and process information via our website and via email in relation to prospective clients including for the use of anti-money laundering regulations.
Under the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) personal data is defined as:
“any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person ('data subject'); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
Who we share your information with:
Jefferies Essex LLP will be the recipients of the data and will only share the data with third parties in the conduct and furtherance of your case and/or in the administration of our business. This may include instructing expert witnesses, barristers or valuers; parties to a property transaction including mortgage brokers and estate agents; banks to enable transfer of funds; external agencies to verify your identity and in connection with prevention of fraud, money laundering or tax evasion; or in compliance with a legal obligation.
We require all third parties to keep your details securely, and to use them only to fulfil the service which they provide and in accordance with our instructions.
We do not, in the ordinary conduct of our business, seek to transfer your personal data outside the European Economic Area. However, if a specific need were to arise, we will take all reasonable steps to ensure compliance with the GDPR.
Jefferies Essex LLP will not pass on your personal data for marketing purposes to third parties without first obtaining your consent.
Jefferies Essex LLP will process personal data for the duration of your instructions to us (if you instruct us to hold certain original documents for you, such as your Will, LPA and deeds this will be for the duration of our instruction to hold these documents) and will store the personal data for a minimum of 15 years after the conclusion of your matter. Your data will then be destroyed as soon as is practicable after 15 years unless we have notified you that we intend to hold your data for longer. This might be necessary for the purpose of a limitation period if, for example, your matter involves a trust or a land transaction or you were a minor at the time of settlement.. Jefferies Essex LLP has a legitimate interest to retain a minimised amount of data for the purpose of conflict-checking, for use in the defence of potential complaints, legal proceedings or fee disputes, keeping anti-money laundering records, and/or exercising a right to a lien.
Failure to provide information
Where we request information under a contractual or statutory requirement, a failure to provide the required information may mean we are unable to act further on your behalf.
Your rights as a data subject
At any point while we are in possession of or processing your personal data, you, the data subject, have the following rights:
- Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you.
- Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records, subject to Jefferies Essex LLP having a legitimate interest in retaining that data (which will be minimized to enable compliance with professional duties, such as carrying out conflict of interests checks).
- Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing.
- Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
- Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you also have the right to be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling.
- Right to judicial review: in the event that Jefferies Essex LLP refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason as to why. You have the right to complain as outlined below.
All of the above requests will be forwarded on should there be a third party involved in the processing of your personal data.
In the event that you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is being processed by Jefferies Essex LLP (or third parties as described above), you have the right to lodge a complaint directly with Jefferies Essex LLP’s Data Protection Manager, Sarah Mitchell, and ultimately the Information Commissioner’s Office (and/or The Legal Ombudsman).
The details for each of these contacts are:
Jefferies Data Protection Manager Jefferies Essex LLP Dencora Court, Tylers Avenue, Southend on Sea, Essex, SS1 2BB
Legal Ombudsman PO Box 6806 Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ
Information Commissioners Office Tel: 0303 123 1113 Wycliffe House Water Lane Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Subject Access Request Form
Jefferies Essex LLP, at your request by completing a Subject Access Request Form, can confirm what information we hold about you and how it is processed. If we hold personal data about you, you may request:
- The purpose of the collection, processing, use and storage of the personal data
- The source of the personal data (if not obtained from you, the data subject)
- The categories of personal data stored
- The recipients or categories of recipients to whom the data has been or may be transmitted, along with location
- Envisaged storage period for the data
- Any details and information of automated decision making
To collect this information you will be required to provide two forms of ID.